Saturday, June 25, 2011

Patti Smith is God(dess)

   For the next five weeks we recorded and mixed my first album, Horses. Jimi Hendrix never came back to create his new musical language [at Electric Ladyland, the New York studio he built and where Smith recorded Horses], but he left behind a studio that resonated all his hopes for the future of our cultural voice. These things were in my mind from the first moment I entered the vocal booth. The gratitude I had for rock and roll as it pulled me through a difficult adolescence. The joy I experienced when I danced. The moral power I gleaned in taking responsibility for one's actions.
   These things were encoded in Horses as well as a salute to those who paved the way before us. 
   --Patti Smith, Just Kids, p. 149


No comments:

Post a Comment